Wednesday, September 20, 2006


I recently went to see a doctor, he has all the credentials to claim him the best in his field but he lacks the most important thing patients look for in a doctor and that is empathy. I have had my share of doctors to last me a lifetime but I have never seen one like this who fails to empathize with patients, it's as though the only thing that matters to him is his work. How can we forget the very core reason that made us want to be doctors? How can we fail our patients? Is it a tactic to try and fool ourselves to not get too close to a patient? Some things should be a given such as some decent respect. I would have never tolerated this if it were not in respect to a doctor I once worked with. It got me thinking about how medicine is changing to a more routine way than one where we once cared about our patients ..

11 Comments:

Blogger Extinct Dodo said...

so what happened?

9/21/2006 8:26 AM  
Blogger MiYaFuSHi said...

I guess things can get monotonous after a while, but they should at least pretend.

9/21/2006 10:52 AM  
Blogger Fuzzy said...

شغلهم صار تجاري

9/21/2006 7:36 PM  
Blogger Chica Bonita Q8 said...

extinct-dodo: I kinda hinted it to him but like I said didn't say anything in respect to someone but I doubt i'm going back to see him for anything else ..

miyafushi: you're right no matter how routine things get they should still maintain some level of respect ..

fuzzy: hehe eey wallah ..

9/22/2006 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
Thank you for the lyric's of hayadeh's songs.
Your blog is really interesting!
look at this one www.zmagri.ma
There's an iranian song as well with the lyrics!
Enjoy.
And thank you again.

9/25/2006 8:08 AM  
Blogger Extinct Dodo said...

mbarak 3alaich ilshahar :**

9/25/2006 9:26 AM  
Blogger Chica Bonita Q8 said...

anonymous: anytime .. n thanks I'll be sure to check the site out sometime

extinct-dodo: 3alaina o 3alaich 7abibty

9/25/2006 8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i believe that it is the nurse's role to provide empathy, and not the doctor. The doctor is the one that diagnosis (spelling?) and the nurse is the one that provides the care. An extreme case of this is the series House, which shows us how much a doctor can be removed from a situation, and still be a fantastic doctor.

9/26/2006 8:10 AM  
Blogger Chica Bonita Q8 said...

anonymous: yeah you got the spelling right but anyway I disagree, they each have their own roles and in this case I don't even recall seeing a nurse at all, a nurse doesn't tell you your dying, a nurse doesn't tell you what your there for and they aren't there when you hear your results so they cant empathize with you the times you need them .. I guess to some extent it may apply to them but your telling me it's not the doctors job to empathize with patients, things aren't like they are on tv I have worked in the operating room and have talked to several patients and in my experience as both a fellow and a patient I believe that a doctor is supposed to show some compassion towards patients as for respect it should not even be a question ..

9/27/2006 3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe it was you he didn't like?

10/13/2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger Chica Bonita Q8 said...

anonymous: could be, but what's not to love?

10/13/2006 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home